Predicting Response to Chemotherapy in Rectal Cancer Patients Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging with Diffusion and Whole Tumor Volume Histogram Analysis

Main Article Content

Laila A. Mohsen, Moustafa Abdel Kader, Amany Saber Gergis, Ahmed Mahrous Sayed

Abstract

Background:  Evaluation of theresponse to chemotherapy in patients  with rectal cancer is a very crucial process to determine further management and plan for surgical interventions. This can be done using various techniques, including Magnetic resonance imaging (or) PET/CT.  


The aim of this study: The aim of this study is to evaluate possibility of   predicting response to chemotherapy in  rectal cancer patients using  magnetic resonance imaging with diffusion and  whole tumor volume histogram analysis .


Participants and methods: fortyparticipants were included in this study , prospectively evaluated after being referred to the MRI unit, Radiology department, (Oncology Center) for assessment after being diagnosed with  rectal cancer after performing Endoscopy / biopsy, during the period of (Jan-2019 ) to (Jan-2021).


Results: 85% of participants (34 participants) were diagnosed as adenocarcinoma while the remaining 6 participants (15% of participants) were diagnosed as mucinous adenocarcinoma. 77.5% of participants (31 participants) had grade II rectal cancer while 9 participants (22.5% of participants) were diagnosed as grade III rectal cancer. On performing TNM staging, we found that the majority of cases; 37.5% of participants (15 participants); were found to be in stage IIA. According to clinical response, patients were divided into 3 groups; disease regression which includes 29 patients  (72.5%), disease progression group which includes 6 patients (15%), and complete response group that includes 5 patients (12.5% ).


Conclusions: Performing MRI  with whole ADC volume analysis can be useful in predicting response to chemotherapy in  rectal cancer patients

Article Details

Section
Articles